Sunday, June 18, 2006

World Cup Angst

There's a very strange attitude towards soccer that you occasionally see people hold and it just seems strange to me. I'm guessing this is mostly a sign of either ignorance or immaturity, but what is with people who actively HATE soccer?

I'm not a huge soccer fan, I've watched about a total of 5 minutes of World Cup so far, and I wasn't really that engaged when I was watching. But when people get the attitude of "soccer is gay! Why would anyone watch that?" and start to actually get hostile in their defense of how stupid soccer is, that attitude is bothersome to me.

Here's a new strategy for people who maintain this type of attitude: When someone is talking about or watching something you don't care for, don't watch it and don't make yourself part of their conversation. I don't go hanging out in craft stores in the cross-stitching section berating people who do cross-stitch simply because I don't think it's very entertaining, don't enter my sports conversation and tell me how stupid sports are because you don't think it's entertaining.

This type of attitude goes outside the world of sports, and I have especially seen it in students I had in class concerning some of the most random things, so I do honestly think it's just a situation of immaturity in 90% of cases. However there are some adults out there who will get hostile and angry over something this ridiculous.

Maybe it's a by-product of a me-first society to say that if people around me are talking about something that doesn't entertain me, that I have the right to be a jerk until they change their ways. Or maybe I'm putting too much into a minority of jerks who have possibly always existed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home