Monday, July 10, 2006

I'm Back! (And Talking about the HR Derby)

First off, I have to say that the wedding, reception, and honeymoon were absolutely awesome and Disney World is an absolutely amazing place to honeymoon at. The Disney Dining Plan is awesome, Kim and I on our last night ate at a steakhouse where our total bill was around $108 for the two of us(A little beyond our typical night out... like $75 beyond).

Now, on to the sports.

I'll start back with something light, and soon I'll be jumping into my comparisons I keep promising.

But tonight, we talk about the derby.

Now, as I'm watching it now, it's looking to be Wright vs. Howard in the final. Two players(especially Wright) who definitely earned their way in.

However, what appeal does this really have?

Outside Ortiz, all the truly marquee names have either declined or dropped out. Is the home run derby on the road to being as boring and silly as the NBA Dunk Contest? Not to say Jason Richardson isn't an excellent dunker, but the titles he won would have had more meaning if they came over Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, LeBron James, and that ilk of player, rather coming over players of the like of Amare Stoudemire(great player, but big men aren't usually the same type of high fliers) and Desmond Mason.

It doesn't take 8 big name players to be in it, but it'd be nice to see a few more. Ortiz and Tejada can stay in. You need a few young players to sort of be introduced, so Wright, Howard and even Cabrera can be in. Outside that, there needs to be at least a couple more big name players. Pick any two of these: Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Ken Griffey Jr., Vlad Guerrero. Get these guys in the derby!

If David Wright wins the Derby over Pujols, Thome and Vlad(my personal favorite three of those to see), then ya know what, he's really done something. Not that Troy Glaus doesn't have some power, but come on, 1 home run and virtually no star power behind his name. Where's the appeal?

I'm hoping it's just a situation that the players who were going to participate got hurt. Pujols probably could use the rest after his oblique strain, I think Manny pulled out due to injury. But A-Rod? Why isn't he there? Was Thome or Vlad asked? If not, what the hell is up with the MLB Central Office?

On a more fun note though, how much fun would it be to be one of the kids who gets to shag balls in the outfield or even the bullpens? When I have kids, if we're ever in the vicinity of the city where an All-Star game happens and we can get tickets, I'll be doing everything I can to try to get my kids out there if they have any interest in baseball.

How else would they get a chance to perhaps say they caught a major league fly ball from a player like an Albert Pujols?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home